Sunday, May 29, 2011

Bin Hammam: Provisional ban is completely disproportionate

The "temporarily suspended" FIFA Exco member and president of the Asian Football Confederation, Mr Mohamed bin Hammam, has acknowledged the decision taken today by the FIFA Ethics Committee. However, he fails to understand how despite him not being found guilty, but yet, he has been suspended.

“I have been referred to the Ethics Committee based on evidence which was strong enough in the views of the FIFA General Secretary for such procedure. However, the Ethics Committee in it's meeting today did not find this evidence sufficient to convict me. Consequently, I should have been given the benefit of doubt but instead, I have been banned from all football activities,” he said in a statement received by Asian Football Business Review.

"I have been given the impression that the Ethics Committee is absolutely an independent committee, but in the press conference we have seen today, the General Secretary made clear that he is the one who has the influence in this Committee."

According to Mr Bin Hammam, during today's press conference,FIFA General Secretary Jérôme Valcke commented on the decision of the FIFA Ethics Committee and presented new evidence against Mr Bin Hammam which had not been part of the proceedings so far and which nobody was able to review.

"He did not hesitate to predict that other parties, in the new fully-fledged investigation, will proof the guiltiness of Mr. Bin Hammam. This is contradictory to the rules of justice by an allegedly independent commission," Mr Bin Hammam said, adding: “I’m very disappointed about the way the status of the proceeding has been presented at the media conference. I am expecting that this will continue. This is not how I understand fair play. I’m reserving all my rights.”

No comments: